Several organizations host online Yiddish discussion/conversation groups:
• KlezCalifornia’s Flisik Yidish Salon, monthly, Sundays, 2-3pm PT. Each participant gives brief comments (in Yiddish) on the month’s theme, followed by an open conversation. For fluent speakers. Hosted by Rosie Kaplan and Evie Groch.
• YOMC, Yiddish Open Mic Café, several times a year, Sundays, 7-9am PT. Presented by the Yiddish Cafe Trust in association with the Scottish Council of Jewish Communities (SCOJEC). Open to all levels of Yiddish speakers. Sign up to present (in Yiddish) poetry, stories, theatre, songs, sketches, etc., no longer than 6 minutes on the month’s theme or be a part of the audience. English translations will be on the screen. (Presenters provide their own translations, but sponsors are happy to translate for presenters if necessary.) More info: email@example.com Check out recordings of previous Cafés.
• Yiddish Wonder Online, presented by The Workers Circle. Practice your Yiddish conversation in “Yiddish Wonderland,” using the Wonder online platform. All levels are welcome. Hosted by Marianne Tatom (Seattle) and Stephen Ogin (England).
• Fishl’s Yiddish Group, weekly, Tuesdays, 11am PT. The Yiddish Club at the Peninsula JCC transformed at the beginning of the pandemic into FYG – Fishl’s Yiddish Group. A 30-minute presentation in Yiddish is followed by a shmues in Yiddish at every meeting. Fishl – Philip Kutner – is the founder, Debbie Herman manages the website and Assia Azenkot is Director of the Program.
• Queer Yiddishist Shmueskrayz, some Sundays, 10am PT. A chance for 2SIAQTBLG+ & Questioning Yiddishists to build rad Yiddish community, learn how to speak about issues we can around in Yiddish, and co-create contemporary Yiddishculture while improving (and improvising) our Yiddish.
• YAANA’s Yiddish Shmueskrayz, for all levels of Yiddish. We will speak in mame-loshn about diverse topics. We will have a conversation both as a group and in smaller cohorts. Some sessions will be focused on a specific topic. We will also try to solve a couple of riddles and learn some Yiddish expressions and sayings. This is a course for beginner, intermediate and advanced learners of Yiddish as we will be working according to level. Thursdays, 2:30-3:30pm PT, 10/6/22 – 11/11/22. $25/session or $120 for six sessions